Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Egg-Cellent Family Night

A tie egg

Pretty eating the eggs as fast as I could color them.

Big M holding Little M
The Beast loved seeing how many colored eggs he could get.
More tie eggs.
Pretty and C. (The Beast loves to play with C, too).
Number One and T enjoyed mixing egg colors. Nice.
Hmmmm....I wonder what this one's color will be...
Can you tell I loved these tie eggs?

The whole group (minus Little Guy, Snort, and little M)

Not everyone enjoyed the evening as much as others.
Little M wasn't sure what to think of the eggs. (Or maybe she was just too freaked out by how weird she thinks I am.)

Mondays at our house are supposed to be Family Night. We're not as good about doing family night as we should be, but I was feeling inspired this week that we should invite another family to join us and color eggs together. I'm so glad I went with my gut, and did it. We had an awesome time.
My friend, M, came over and brought her four kids. Number One loves playing with her two boys, the Beast loves playing with her oldest daughter, and Snort loves to play with her littlest daughter. It was a perfect combo.
I collected all the things we'd need for a fun-filled night of egg making and moved it all to the garage. You don't think I'm crazy enough to have nine kids running around with egg dye in the house, do you?!?!? The garage was the perfect place to do it. The kids could be all over the place and noisy and messy and I didn't mind one little bit. It was just fine.
I had heard about making eggs using silk ties, and it looked super cool. So, I went to Goodwill and got a bunch of ties for a buck a piece. Can't be that, can you? They turned out great!!! If you like the way they look, the instructions are here. Super easy, and oh so fun!!! (Don't boil the eggs before doing this. They'll boil while they color.)
While the tie-dyed eggs were boiling, we pulled out the traditional egg dye and let the kids go to town. They had so much fun. Number One's hands are still green, and I think he'll look like the son of Shrek for the next week, but that's okay. They were so delighted to be coloring eggs that it was all worth it. I had to laugh at Pretty because she kept eating the eggs just as quickly as I could color them. Apparently our egg salad activity the other day left a last impression on her.

After all was said and done, we had ice cream sandwiches while the big kids played on the Wii. Finally, we called it a night and let me just point out that everyone fell asleep very easily. Yay for that!!!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Love the tie eggs! Will have to try some next year. I'm done with egg coloring for this year. :D