Sunday, March 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Number One





Number One turned nine this past Tuesday. Nine! Where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday that I found out I'd be a mom for the first time. I still remember our first night home with him and wondering when his mom would be coming to pick him up. We've come a long way since then.
Of all my children, he's the one who challenges me the most. I think that's because he's most like me. He knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go after it. He's so strong-willed that it drives me completely nuts and makes me proud all in the same breath. He makes me crazy while at the same time compelling me to be a better person and a better mom.

He's also a brilliant student and has been in the gifted program since first grade. He made the honor roll with absolutely no effort. I swear knowledge just comes to him. On the reading part of the standardized testing for our state, he didn't get one single question wrong. Who does that?!!? I'm curious to see how he'll do on the math part in April. (By the way, the brilliant part of him is something he gets from his dad, and certainly not from me.)

We told him we'd be having a smaller party this year. Money and time were a factor, but I just thought it'd be better to do something small so he could really enjoy whoever he did have over. I'm glad we kept it small because the weather didn't hold out for us. We were going to set up the bounce house and play outside, but it was 44 degrees and raining. Instead, I took them to the dollar theater to see Inkheart.
Number One hates cake because of his egg allergy, so we let the kids build their own sundaes instead. Let's face it. That's a ton more yummy anyway. The kids had a great time, my house was trashed, and all was well at the end of the day. His friend, H, gave him some walkie talkies which he LOVES. His other friend, D, gave him enough money to buy a new book at the book fair. Number One is a voracious reader, so I can't think of a better gift for him.

As for us, we took him out to eat on his actual birthday and gave him a watch and some deodorant. I can't decide which one he was more excited about, silly kid. Then, just before his party, we gave him a bike he's been just aching to get and some safety gear for the bike and his skateboard. Part of the beauty of having a smaller party was that we had more money to get him a bigger gift this year.

No comments: