Monday, February 4, 2008

A Special Friend's Birthday


We live pretty far from our blood relatives. Our children see The King's parents about twice a year, and you can count on one hand the number of times they've met my parents. So, we have to improvise.

We met Marlene and her family the day after we moved here. They have been family to us ever since. My children consider her to be their other Grandma. I think the feelings are mutual. Every Sunday, she and her daughter sit down to dinner with us. Sometimes we play card games afterward, just like a typical little family would.

I can honestly say that she and her family have been with us through thick and thin. I can't count the number of times I've had to call at 2:00am because I needed to rush a sick baby to the hospital, and she's been here in minutes to stay with the other kids. Never a word of complaint is ever uttered, and she does it all with a smile. On top of that, she usually leaves my house cleaner than she found it.

I know she loves my kids because she has willingly picked up the Beast's poop with her bare hands. True story. Those who know her can ask her about it...and perhaps offer her some hand sanitizer.

It's her birthday today. We celebrated yesterday. There were so many candles on the cake that the frosting melted. That's okay. It was still yummy. And we hope she's around until there are twice as many candles on that cake.

We love you, Marlene!

1 comment:

Taffi said...

It must be the name. All of the Marlenes I've ever known have been wonderful people.