Tuesday, November 25, 2008

You Can't Tell Me God Doesn't Answer Prayers

I've never doubted the existence of a loving Heavenly Father. It's been easy to have faith because He's always been there for me. Yesterday was one of those times when I just knew I had to document what happened. As small and simple as this may seem, it was just one reminder of how much God loves his children.

I got a call around 12:45 from the principal at the Beast's school. She sounded nervous, so I figured that he'd fallen into the lake at his field trip or something. (That, or she's still afraid of me from the beginning of this year.) She told me that his teacher had called to explain that he was playing in some leaves at his field trip. Somehow, he lost his processor in the leaves. She said to please call the teacher's cell phone.

I called his teacher and the poor thing sounded just frantic. She said they'd all been looking for a really long time to no avail, and they just didn't know what to do. She felt terrible. I assured her that all would be well and that I was picking up some people to come help me look and would be right there. The King had just walked in for lunch and said he'd stay with Pretty and Snort. So, off I went.

On the way, I called Marlene to see if she'd come. She willingly came along with me. Another friend, Brianna, said she'd also meet us there. Then, I called one of the MOFia girls and asked her to post what had happened and ask for prayers that we could PLEASE find this processor.
Finally, I started calling church members to see if anyone might have a metal detector. Surprisingly, Janna mentioned that her husband had one. She said her son, Alex, would be off work shortly and could bring it to us. Hooray!! There was hope!!!

Nothing could prepare me for what I'd find when I got to the location of the field trip. I thought there might be a pile or two of leaves to go through. Not so, my friends. Not so. It was a huge area, easily the size of a football field completely covered in leaves. His teacher showed us where he'd been (which was EVERYWHERE) and then had to go back to the school. She was almost in tears with worry over what would happen. I assured her that we'd be fine and that it would be okay even if we never found it. These things happen. He's a five year old and this is a small piece of machinery.

So, there we were. Just the three of us literally looking for a needle in a haystack. Just as a matter of reference, the processor looks like a large hearing aid. Attached to it is a wire about an inch and a half long with a circle attached to that which is just larger than a nickle. So, not a very big piece. And it's all black except for one tiny green piece I'd added to it for fun.

I had a prayer in my heart the whole time. With every leaf I lifted, I just prayed that we could be guided. Brianna and Marlene stepped aside and had a prayer of their own. We all remained so calm and cool and collected. A sister from the ward called and said another family who owned an x-ray business offered their services. If all else failed, we could bag up the leaves, x-ray them, and know where the processor was. And, of course, the metal detector was coming.

I knew we'd be there a long time looking. After all, a huge group had just been there with teachers and students all looking frantically to find it for a long time. And there were just three of us. Suddenly, after less than 15 minutes of looking, Marlene yelled "I've got it!". There it was. Covered in dirt and leaves, but in one piece. One tiny part, the circle part, was sticking out and Marlene spotted it between those thousands and thousands of leaves. And in record time.

I called to let everyone know we had it and we headed home. The King went back to work and I went on with my day as if nothing had happened. But something had happened. Something big which could easily be mistaken for something so small. The simple prayers of many were answered. The King and I both commented on how calm and cool we were about the whole thing. We knew that was God's hand, too. He heard our prayers. He knew the Beast would be lost without his "baby ear", and He provided a way for us to find it for him.

So, I just had to share that with you all. It had a big impact on me about how mighty works can come from small and simple things...like a prayer in our hearts.


Rich said...

It's nice to know someone listens when you pray. I've always believed kids with disabilities get a little extra help that way anyway. Good story.

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing. Great story. :)

taffi said...

I'm so glad it turned out okay. I hope you went back & got pics, I'd love to see them.

Anonymous said...

Dang, now I'm crying all over again. I'm so grateful you found it. And it just proves MOFia prayers can move leaves and mountains.

elizabeth said...

Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!